Author: SmittenKitchen.com, Adapted from Ina Garten
Recipe type: Snack Cuisine: American Serves: 12-16 Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 2 hours Total time: <:time>2 hours 20 mins
The perfect blend of chewy, crunchy, and not-too-sweet goodness. Ingredients
- 2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup shredded coconut, loosely packed
- ½ cup toasted wheat germ
- ⅔ cup honey
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1½ cup dried fruit, or a mix of dried fruit (I used chopped raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries, and dried apricots)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with parchment paper, and grease it with butter or cooking spray.
- Combine the oatmeal, almonds, and coconut together, spread on a baking sheet, and toast in the oven for 10-12 minutes until light brown. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Lower the oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- Mix in the toasted wheat germ to the oatmeal mixture. Stir in the honey, vanilla, and salt, and mix until everything is well coated. Then add the dried fruit.
- Pour the mixture into the greased baking dish, and press it in firmly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. As soon as you remove the dish from the oven, use a potato masher to pack it in as tightly as possible.
- Allow to cool for at least 2 hours, and cut into bars using a serrated knife.
- Store in an airtight container in the freezer, if you like them crunchy. If you prefer them soft, leave them at room temperature.